Just home from the library's board meeting, and, as you may have guessed from the line I quoted above, I am a happy girl.
Everything I wanted, I got:
1. The board approved my suggested changes to the days and hours we're open. In other words, NO MORE ELEVEN HOUR DAYS AND SPLIT WEEKENDS, WOOOOOOOO.
Instead, the library will be open a much more managable (and sane) eight hours Tuesdays-Fridays, three hours on Saturday, closed Sunday and Monday.
Note: That picture? Is only of TWO-THIRDS of her donation. SHE (and her buddies) SINGLE-HANDEDLY INCREASED MY YA SECTION BY A QUARTER, IF NOT A THIRD.
I love you, Jenne.
3. They—with no debate whatsoever—voted to shell out in order to join the library delivery van service, which will allow me to A) provide ILL services and B) host book groups.
And now, as promised, here are the highlights of what I've done over the last month (in addition to the aforementioned new YA section):
- Created a HUGE book sale area.
- Started HEAVILY weeding the adult nonfiction, which is... well, it needs to be weeded. Bad.
- Moved stuff around in the children's area and created an island display area with books faced out at actual kids'-eye-level.
- Separated the audiobooks on CD from the audiobooks on cassette (they were mixed) and catalogued all of the ACDs.
- Deep-sixed all of the VHS tapes and the audiobooks on cassette.
- Created a (very low-key) website.
Like I said, those are the highlights. There was WAAAAAAAAAY more.
But HOLY CATS, I NEED A NAP.